Open Source Projects

I've been a strong believer in the open source philosophy of sharing and giving back to the community. Here are some projects I've created/been heavily involved in grouped by technology.

Here are some projects I've work with relating to the Drupal content management system.  You can also check out my Drupal.Org activity using my d.o id: cgmonroe.  I have supplied many patches to various projects that aren't listed here.

TriDUG - The Triangle Drupal Users Group (groups.drupal.org/tridug)

I have been a co-coordinator for this group since early 2010.  Some of my past presentations have been:

Intro to Drupal Module Internal (Also presented at Ashville DrupalCamp 2014)
Intro to CSS Selectors in Drupal
Using the Features API

You can see all my presentation decks at:

http://www.slideshare.net/cgmonroe/

LDAP Integration Module (drupal.org/project/ldap_integration

A work project led to me submitting so many patches that I became one on of the co-maintainers of this project which is used by about 10,000 Drupal sites.  I was the developer behind most of the code that went into the beta3 release.

CloudFront Refresh Module (drupal.org/sandbox/cgmonroe/2454357

This module allows sites using Amazon's CloudFront service as a CDN to send 'Invalidate' requests for nodes that have been updated when the site cache is cleared.

Web File Manager (drupal.org/project/webfm)

When another work project required strict security for uploaded files, I started working with this module.  This led me to submit many patches to this project.  A couple that stand out are:

Patch to add support for custom layouts
V2.15 Image Exploit Checking Problems  

In addition, I did a presentation for TriDUG that was referenced on the module page.

Notification Utilities ( drupal.org/sandbox/cgmonroe/1471836 )

This is a sandbox module I wrote.  It is an "add-on" to the Notifications module. It adds various features and formating options that make managing sites using Notifications easier.

I have been programming in Java since Sun released V1.0.  Here are some of the open source projects I have been involved  with.

Apache Torque (db.apache.org/torque)

In designing a Web applications component system for work, I decided to use Torque as the database interface.  It had many nice features that helped get the project up and going quickly.  Unfortunately, the MS SQL server "adaptor" was a bit old and neede refreshing... and then my project needed a few extra features... so one thing led to another and now I am currently a Project Management Committee member for the Apache Software Foundation DB / Torque project.  

Torque Add-ins (torque-addons.sourceforge.net)

I created this SourceForge project to offer some add in functionality to the Torque package. The intent was for other developers to add to this.  Currently it included two Add-In packages that I wrote, the Torque Betwixt Templates and the XML Import / Export Add-in.  

These add-in were designed to allow data to be easily transported between sites via XML without having to write much code.  The Torque generator would create the required support for this.  It was used internally at my work as part of a REST API used to sync info across a firewall.

jForum (jforum.net)

jForum is a java base phpBB clone that became much more.  It is quite scaleable.  In fact, EA Games uses it as the basis for it's online forums.  

I got involved in jForum when we selected it to be the "forum" component in our web applications.  It was Java based and had a robust "Single Sign on" api.  To learn it, I ended up hanging out on the (now defunct) support forum.  In the spirit of giving back to the community, I became one of the major "experts" answering questions posted.

Unfortunately, the developer decided to drop the support forum after his server crashed.

I have been doing Javascript since Mozaic what the only web browser.  I discovered the joys of jQuery about the time V1.1 came out.  Here are some jQuery packages I have written in the past.  

Haven't been doing a lot with packages recently, but I still pull out the jQuery "magic" frequently.

wordFilter (people.apache.org/~gmonroe/wordFilter)

Word filter is a jQuery plug-in I wrote that allows a page to have an "ajax like" search box that will filter information on the page based on user input.  E.g., if you have a list of many articles on a single page, this lets you easily add ways that the article list can be trimmed based on use input.

See the link to the site above for details and a demo.

feedReader (people.apache.org/~gmonroe/feedReader)

We needed a way to support RSS feeds on a site.  So, I wrote this RSS feedReader plug in.  It allows for a lot of different ways to display RSS feeds to users using jQuery as the underlying basis.

See the link above for details and a demo.

urlUtils (never published)

This is a package I wrote to support the HTML/jQuery only sites for the two packages above.  It supplies a couple of features to determine actions to take based on the page URI.  For example, determining which main navigation tab get the "active" CSS styling.  This lets you define actions based on the base URI.  E.g., if the URL starts with the URI of /demos do some jQuery magic.

jQuery Package Site Template (never published)

In creating the packages above,  I needed a quick way to put together delivery sites.  The web server I was using does not support any dynamic languages, so I decided to create a faux dynamic sites using just HTML, CSS, and jQuery.  The end result was a template site designed to showcase jQuery plug-ins that could just be copied and the  wordsmithing started.